TO Install Metatrader 5 on your MAC you need to install an emulator with a simple application called PlayOnMac. Then you will be able to install and use MT5 from your Mac OS operating system.
Wine is a free software that allows users of the Unix-based systems to run an application developed for the Microsoft Windows systems. Among all the Wine versions there is one for Mac OS.
Disclaimer: Note that Wine is not a fully stable application. Thus, some functions in the applications you start under it may work improperly or not work at all.
For the installation on Mac OS we recommend to use the free application PlayOnMac. PlayOnMac is a Wine-based software for easy installation of Windows applications on Mac OS.
1. To install PlayOnMac, open the product’s official web site, click on Download section and click on the link for downloading the latest version: PlayOnMac website
2. After downloading the DMG package, launch it from Downloads section of your system
3. PlayOnMac first launch window will appear. After clicking “Next”, the installer will start checking and installing the various components necessary for work.
4. The first necessary component is XQuartz. This is a software for using X Window System on Mac OS. X Window System provides standard tools and protocols for building the graphical user interface in Unix-like OS.
If you have already installed XQuartz or want to install it later, select “Don’t install XQuartz
for the moment” or “I’ve downloaded file by myself”, respectively.
5. XQuartz installation is performed in several stages. First of all, you should read the important information (Read Me) and accept the license conditions.
6. Before the installation, Mac OS security system will ask you to enter your account’s password:
7. Wait for the installation to complete. For changes to take effect, you should restart your PC
8. After restarting the system, launch PlayOnMac again from the setup file in Downloads folder. The first launch window will appear again. This time, the installer will offer to install MS Windows fonts necessary for correct operation.
9. Accept the license agreement conditions and wait until the installation is complete. After that, PlayOnMac is ready for use. Its main window will appear
Wine is installed together with PlayOnMac. However, it may be less stable, it is recommended to install the latest version of Wine.
1. To upgrade Wine to the latest version, open PlayOnMac upper menu and select
Manage Wine Versions
2. The window with Wine versions available for installation will open. Select the latest
3. Move the latest Wine version to the right side of the window. The installation will start.
After the installation is complete, the new version of Wine will appear in the left part of PlayOnMac Wine versions manager window. You can then close the window and install MetaTrader 5 trading terminal.
MetaTrader 5 Installation
1. To install MetaTrader 5, please click here
2. After the download is complete, launch the setup file. PlayOnMac will be used
automatically to open it.
3. The standard terminal installation process with all its stages will start
4. Once the installation has finished you may receive this error message below which is not important and can be ignored. Please click next
5. When the installation is complete, PlayOnMac will offer you to create the shortcuts for MetaTrader 5 terminal components – the client terminal itself, MetaEditor and MetaTrader 5 Strategy Tester Agent
6. After creating the necessary shortcuts, you can start using MetaTrader 5. Double click on it in PlayOnMac window to launch the terminal.
7. Below you can see MetaTrader 5 terminal on Mac OS
MetaTrader 5 Data Directory
PlayOnMac creates a separate virtual logical drive with necessary environment for each
installed program. The default path of the installed terminal’s data folder is as follows:
LibraryPlayOnMacWinePrefixMetaTrader_5_Drive CProgram FilesMetaTrader 5