Cluster: Emerging Star
Price target: Rs1,018
Current market price: Rs898
Price target revised to Rs1,018
- Jindal Saw Ltd (JSL), the largest pipe manufacturer in the country, continues to benefit from the huge opportunity in the sector due a surge in E&P activities globally and a strong domestic and export demand.
- At the end of the last quarter, JSL's order book stood at $715 million, which is executable by May/June 2008. Of this, $565 million orders are for Submerged Arc Welded (SAW) pipes while the remaining orders were for ductile iron (DI) and seamless pipes.
- The performance of the company is set to improve further going forward. The US operations had been a drag on company's earnings in the past. With the US division being hived off along with a better product mix due to higher contribution from seamless and DI pipes, the overall profitability of the company is set to improve.
- JSL has a big investment book with investments in various group companies, particularly Jindal Steel & Power and JSW Steel. The total investment value works out to Rs403 per share for JSL. We believe JSL has strong potential for value unlocking and the same is likely to trigger a re-rating of its stock. We value the core business of the company at 11x CY2009E earnings and take the investment value at a 75% discount to its current value.
- The company has an aggressive capital expenditure (capex) plan, as it is expanding its Longitudinal Submerged Arc Welded (LSAW) capacity by another 200,000 tonne by September 2008 and is adding 350,000 tonne to its Horizontal Submerged Arc Welded (HSAW) capacity. The total capex for the same would be Rs250 crore by the end of CY2008. The capacity expansion of the seamless pipes to 250,000 tonnes is also on schedule.
- We maintain our positive outlook on the company considering its leadership position in the industry and the scope for margin expansion. With the sale of the US operations, the company would also be sitting on a huge cash pile, which would partly be used for debt repayments and capacity expansions. We believe the stock is trading at attractive valuations at 17.1x its CY2008E earnings and 10.8x its CY2009E earnings. We maintain our Buy recommendation on the stock with a revised price target of Rs1,018.